Ready in: 40 minutes
Complexity: very easy
- 2 Dozen Fresh Oysters Shucked
- 4 Whole eggs
- 2 Cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 Cups cake flour
- 24 Whole button mushrooms (4cm diam)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh asparagus spears (cooked)
- Shuck the oysters, which is easier said than done. Remove any shell or sand pieces with a small knife. Do not wash oysters - you then remove all the wonderful taste of the sea , as well as many of the nutrients, including zinc. Hold oysters upright whilst shucking, so as to avoid losing any of the juices.
- With a melon baller, hollow out a white button mushroom in the centre. Now pop the raw oyster into the hollowed centre, season lightly with salt and pepper. Remember FEB - flour, eggs, breadcrumbs. Roll the oyster-filled mushroom in flour, then into the lightly beaten eggs, and finally roll it in the breadcrumbs, dusting off any excess crumbs.
- Place gently into a wire fryer basket , or sieve , and deep fry in hot oil for one minute only.
- Remove cooked oysters from heat, drain on paper towel and serve immediately with the prepared Hollandaise sauce (recipe included).
- Garnish with freshly chopped chives and serve along with freshly cooked hot asparagus spears - oysters, hollandaise& asparagus - a deadly combination!!